307th Airborne Medical Company Unit History

Overhead view of Camp Claiborne, Louisiana, birthplace of the 82d A/B Division. Note how the Pyramidal Tents have been erected over wooden frames.


The 307th Sanitary Train was constituted on 5 August 1917 and assigned to the 82d Division. Having been demobilized 9 May 1919 (after WW1), the 307th was reconstituted on 24 November 1936 as part of the Organized Reserves, and reassigned to the 82d (Infantry) Division. It was to be consolidated with the 307th Medical Regiment. In October 1941, the unit was transferred to Jacksonville, Florida; and on 30 January 1942, it was redesignated the 307th Medical Battalion.
The Battalion was activated 25 March 1942 and sent to Camp Claiborne, Alexandria, Louisiana (Engineer Unit Training Center & Infantry Division Camp) as part of the 82d Infantry Division. Battalion Commanders were Major Clifford A. Best (25 Mar 42 > 3 Apr 42) followed by Major William E. Williams (21 May 42 > 14 Aug  42). With the conversion of the 82d Infantry Division into an Airborne organization, the Battalion’s Headquarters & Headquarters Company was however once more reorganized and redesignated as the 307th Airborne Medical Company (having lost A, B, C, and D Company in the process, i.e. about 50% of its previous strength, from 31 July 1942 on).


The Company was finally reactivated as the 307th Airborne Medical Company on 15 August 1942, under command of Major Wolcott L. Etienne, O-22277, MC (15 Aug 42 > 29 Jan 43), as an organic unit of the 82d Airborne Division.
In fact, the unit never lost its historic ties with the 82d Division, whether Infantry or Airborne!
Sources from which personnel were obtained: cadre from the 9th Infantry Division, Reserve Corps, voluntary Enlistment and the Draft.

From its very activation, on 25 March 1942 until 28 September 1942, the unit remained stationed at Camp Claiborne, Alexandria, La. The 307th moved to Fort Bragg, Fayetteville, N.C. (Field Artillery Replacement Training Center and Airborne Command Headquarters) by truck and train, where it arrived on 2 October 1942, and remained until 8 February 1943.
On 30 January 1943, Major Wolcott L. Etienne was promoted to Division Surgeon, he was replaced by Captain William H. Houston (30 Jan 43 > 6 Jun 44). Lt. Colonel Wolcott L. Etienne was wounded in combat on 6 June 1944 and replaced from that date by Major William C. Lindstrom, who became acting Division Surgeon.
Between 8 February – 20 February 1943, the Company moved by motor convoy to Laurinburg-Maxton Field, N.C., for advanced glider training, including classes in loading and lashing.
While remaining at Fort Bragg until April 1943, the unit sent out following Detachments for individual training in glider techniques, and general methods and techniques related to airborne operations.

Close-up illustration showing organization markings on the rear of a ¼-ton Trailer belonging to the 307th Airborne Medical Company. Photograph taken in June 1944, France.

Third Platoon (CO > Captain Chester R. Lulenski, O-495020) was attached to the 325th Combat Team, and moved to Laurinburg-Maxton Field from 12 – 16 March 1943.
First Platoon (CO > Captain Jerry J. Belden, O-375276) was attached to the 325th Combat Team, and moved to Laurinburg-Maxton Field from 17 – 24 March 1943.
Second Platoon (CO > Captain Donald E. Rossiter, O-231339) was attached to the 320th Field Artillery Battalion, and moved to Laurinburg-Maxton Field from 26 March – 1 April 1943.

On 23 April 1943, the entire Company, under command of Major William H. Houston, O-355901, MC, moved by troop train from Fort Bragg, N.C., to Camp Edwards, Falmouth, Mass. (Antiaircraft Artillery Training Center).

As can be derived from the above, the search for better methods, perfected organization, and improved equipment for the expanding Airborne Force, was continuous. With the development and growth of the Airborne effort from Infantry alone to ALL elements of a Division, other arms and services had to be developed and trained for Airborne operations! Therefore the assistance and cooperation of the various Service Schools were timely and helpful. This was especially true with The Field Artillery School – The Infantry School – and The Antiaircraft School of the Coast Artillery. The Parachute School at Fort Benning, Columbus, Ga., previously operating under the Infantry School, was activated by the Airborne Command, and its activities expanded to meet the ever-increasing demand for parachute personnel. The requirement for the establishment of a dedicated  training camp for the exclusive usage of Airborne troops resulted in the selection of Camp Mackall, Hoffman, N.C., as the perfect location.

Overseas Movement and first Operations in the MTO:

Aid men of the 307th Airborne Medical Company tend to the wounds of a fellow Paratrooper injured during combat jump training in North Africa, 3 June 1943.

On 27 April 1943, the 307th Airborne Medical Company moved from Camp Edwards to the Staten Island P/E, New York, where it embarked on the USAT “George Washington” on 29 April sailing for North Africa. The ship was very much crowded, and the Company had to sleep on ‘G’ deck (the lowest in the hold). Due to lack of sufficient accommodation, troops had to sleep in two shifts.
After an uneventful trip, except stopping for minor ship repairs en route, the unit disembarked at Casablanca, French Morocco, on 10 May 1943. After disembarking, the Company had to hike 5 miles with full gear to the bivouac area, where individual tents were pitched outside of the city until 13 May. The site was designated Camp Don B. Passage. It then left for Oujda in different groups; First Platoon left by C-47, a small group followed by motor convoy, and the remainder went by train. The Company was stationed at Oujda from 15 May – 24 June 1943. A limited Station Hospital was set up to treat patients suffering mainly from malaria and dysentery. During that particular period, the 307th started forming separate Detachments to operate with the respective Infantry Regimental Combat Teams.
Near the end of May, Division asked for volunteers to go to Jump School. 2 Officers and about 30 EM began a rigid 16-days of parachute training (they would become the first jump-qualified personnel in the Company, and were later sent on detached service to the different Parachute Regiments, to become Medical Detachments).

Non-Combat Losses – North Africa

KIA: Pfc Stephen M. Kozusko (35289375)

Sicily (Operation “Husky”):

In view of forthcoming operational requirements, the Company was reorganized 17 June 1943 as follows:

  • Headquarters Section
  • First Medical Detachment (CO > Capt. Jerry J. Belden) attached to 325th CT, moved to Marnia, Algeria
  • Second Medical Detachment (CO > Capt. Chester R. Lulenski) attached to 505th CT, remained at Oujda, French Morocco
  • Third Medical Detachment (CO > Capt. Donald E. Rossiter) attached to 504th CT, remained at Oujda, French Morocco

On 24 June 1943, the Company and the separate Detachments moved (some by plane and by glider, others by train) from Oujda to Kairouan, Tunisia, where they arrived on 30 June 1943. The 307th Airborne Medical Company would stay at Kairouan from 30 June until 25 August 1943, and during that period, it would undergo additional reorganization and movement.
On 6 July 1943, the Third Medical Detachment returned to Kairouan, Tunisia.

Members of 3d Battalion, 505th PIR during combat training in Oujda. Note the aidman (Medical Detachment, 505th PIR) standing center front wearing the Marine Medical Drop Kit (over his B-4 Life Vest).

On 10 July 1943, 307th Airborne Medical Company elements (CO > S/Sgt Kenneth I. Knotts, 20541828) made their first three combat jumps over Sicily where they set up a Clearing Station. Jump-qualified Medical Detachments parachuted into Sicily with their 504th (3d Bn, CO > Lt. Col. Charles Kouns) and 505th (RCT, CO > Col. James M. Gavin) Combat Teams the nights of 9 and 11 July and served throughout the scattered fighting and the subsequent Division campaign from Agrigento to Trapani.
On 16 July 1943, the Advance Medical Detachment under command of Major William H. Houston, left for Sicily on board C-47s, and after participating in combat operations on the island, and running a small quarters Hospital at Castelvetrano, returned to Africa on 20 August 1943 (to supplement medical support, a Detachment of the 56th Medical Battalion (Separate) was temporarily attached to the 82d A/B Division).
On 28 July 1943, the Second Medical Detachment was disbanded and returned to Kairouan to join the remainder of the Company.
On 26 August 1943, the entire Company (minus rear echelon) traveled to Bizerte, Tunisia, by motor convoy. First Platoon was now attached to the 325th CT at Sousse.
On 8 September 1943, the Company moved to Gela, Sicily, by air and sea, while First Platoon left Sousse for Licata, Sicily.
On 17 September 1943, the Third Medical Detachment was disbanded (after its combat mission) and returned to join the Company at Gela, Sicily.
On 18 September 1943, the 307th (including First Platoon, but still minus its rear echelon) moved from Gela to Termini, Sicily. There was now talk about a seaborne movement into Italy.

Sicily July 1943. Medical Detachments pertaining to the 504th and 505th Regimental Combat Teams take some rest after the fighting.

Sicily July 1943. Medical Detachments pertaining to the 504th and 505th Regimental Combat Teams take some rest after the fighting.

Losses in Action – Sicily

KIA: 1st Lt Francis R. Cannizzaro (O-1541889)
WIA: Cpl Norman E. Barrows (35136565)
MIA : none
PW: none

Italy (Operation “Avalanche”):

Personnel of the 307th Airborne Medical Company, along with Ambulance drivers of the 504th Service Company remove patients from an ambulance.

The qualified Medical Detachment members jumped again with their respective Combat Teams in the Sele Plain, Italy, the nights of 13 and 14 September 1943.
On 28 September 1943, the 307th left the port of Termini, Sicily with destination Italy and boarded an LST for the trip. Unfortunately it bogged down on a sandbar, and the troops had to wait for another vessel to pick them up. Finally the journey started on the afternoon of 28 September; as the seas were rough many of the men became seasick. Salerno Beachhead, Italy was reached 28 September, but everyone had to spend another night on the ship, until moving on to Maiori the next day for unloading and disembarking. After docking, the 307th moved out by motor convoy heading for Naples. Castellamare, just outside of Naples, was to be the first bivouac and pup tents were pitched in an old ball park. Somewhat later, troops established a Clearing Station which took care of a great many patients in a short time (meanwhile a Med Det was already supporting the 505th CT during its advance against Naples).
On 2 October 1943, all the patients were evacuated, the Clearing Station was broken down, and the 307th Airborne Medical Company moved into Naples! The unit took over the “23d of March Hospital”, a brick construction, a large and modern place, but lacking electricity and water! The 307th Clearing Station was the only American medical service facility available in Naples, before being relieved by the 95th Evacuation Hospital (at this time, there were 1150 patients admitted and 600 still on hand). After having spent 11 great days in the building, the Company moved into a smaller place on the waterfront, called “L’Ospital Ravaschieri”, where it operated for approximately 6 weeks, under constant threat of enemy bombing.
On 4 October, a Medical Detachment moved to the Volturno River front to support the 505th Prcht Inf, it returned on 8 October.
On 27 October, another Medical Detachment moved to Alije and Agricola to support the 504th Prcht Inf, it returned on 4 November.
Quarters patients continued to be treated until 18 November 1943, when the unit sailed for the United Kingdom…

Losses in Action – Italy

KIA: none
WIA: Sgt Harold Jackson – Pfc Emwood W. Perrine (35136590) – Pfc Charles D. White (35137213)
MIA : none
PW: none

First Operations in the ETO:

On 18 November 1943, the 307th Airborne Medical Company boarded the USS “Thomas Jefferson” sailing out of Naples, first passing Sicily, then along the north coast of Africa, before spending several days at Oran, Algeria. The voyage then took the unit through the Strait of Gibraltar, first heading west, and then suddenly north. The 307th disembarked at Belfast, Northern Ireland, 9 December 1943. (Payrolls dated 31 Dec 43 indicate   Company strength to be 21 Off & 188 EM). Traveling by train the unit arrived at Castledawson, Northern Ireland, on 10 December, and went into winter quarters, living in several Nissen huts, not leaving its base again until 14 February 1944, when it moved by train to England. Continuing via Liverpool, a group of 14 Officers and 115 EM left Camp Castledawson at 0700 hours en route for Leicester. It entrained at 0730, arriving at Belfast at approximately 0930 hours, where it embarked at 1100 hours aboard the S/S Dempo. Captain Albert B. Chapla, O-336675, MC, was in charge of the Company at the time, as Major William H. Houston was absent from duty with sickness being treated at the 317th Station Hospital in Belfast (he reassumed command on 1 March 1944 –ed).On the evening of 13 February, over 12,000 “All American” troops (except the 507th and 508th PIR) evacuated their billets making their way to Belfast harbor; in just one night the camps at Castledawson, Cookstown, Aghadowey, Portglenone, Ballymena, Gravagh, Rasharkin, Kilrea, and Ballyscullion were emptied. The Medical Company would later reach and settle down at Leicester, England from 15 February – 6 June 1944 (until D-Day, the Invasion of France).

1944 Stations in the United Kingdom – 307th Airborne Medical Company
Castledawson, Northern Ireland – 10 December 1943 > 14 February 1944
Camp Braunstone, Leicester, England – 14 February 1944 > 16 November 1944

Partial view of the 505th’s Regimental Aid Station # 1 (set up in an isolated farmhouse flanking the Neuville DZ).

While stationed at Castledawson, any sick or injured personnel were usually sent to the 79th General Hospital and the 10th Station Hospital for appropriate treatment. Some Officers and EM were often (temporarily) attached to the 505th Parachute Infantry, or the 325th Glider Infantry for DS lasting one to two weeks, and/or assigned to Headquarters, 82d A/B Division (also non-airborne units were supported that way). Newly assigned personnel came from the 10th Replacement Depot. In order to acquire more experience or to supplement other medical units, Officers and Enlisted personnel served at other Station Hospitals, located in Northern Ireland.

The unit’s new station, Camp Braunstone Park, about 15 minutes walk or 5 minutes by streetcar from downtown Leicester, became home to Division Headquarters, the Military Police, the Medical Company, and the Signal Company (the 319th GFAB was stationed in Lubenham; the 325th GIR in Scraptoft; the 376th PFAB in Hinckley; the 504th PIR in Evington; and the 505th PIR in Quorn –ed).  Sick personnel were taken care of at the 68th Station Hospital, or the 303d Station Hospital. Between May – June 1944, the Company was reorganized into 1 Clearing and 4 Collecting Companies, while personnel strength nearly reached 250. A few Medical Officers were sent to Plaster School, Frenchay Park, Bristol, for DS, while more men assisted other “All American” units, such as the 307th Airborne Engineer Battalion, the 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, the 505th PIR Parachute Jump School. Outside medical personnel were sometimes attached to the Company, such as small teams from the 3d Auxiliary Surgical Group or from other airborne Regiments. Near the end of May, the 307th split into two groups which were sent to different Airfields in southern England.

On 22 March 1944, Captain Jerry J. Belden, O-375276, MC, whose primary duty was to command First Platoon, was promoted to Company Executive Officer, thereby replacing Captain Albert B. Chapla  (previously acting as XO) who was transferred to 82d A/B Division Headquarters, effective 20 March 1944. The former was replaced by Captain Wilbur L. Davis, O-372355, MC, who became the new CO First Platoon.
Captain J. J. Belden had to assume temporary command due to illness of the CO, who had been taken to the 303d Station Hospital on 26 March (the CO was back on 4 April –ed).

At the end of the month, 4 Officers and 4 EM from the 3d Auxiliary Surgical Group were attached to the organization (attached for rations and quarters –ed) which they would accompany into Normandy.

In the course of April, during the unit’s stay at Braunstone, Leicester, quite a few Enlisted personnel were attached to other medical units for DS (the intention was to provide any necessary medical care and some extra medical training and technique for field operations). 6 EM were attached to the 130th Station Hospital at Burderop Park; 4 EM were attached to the 305th Station Hospital at Longleat; and another 2 EM were attached to the 306th Station Hospital at Eastmoore; 2 Officers were attached to the 48th General Hospital at Stockbridge; more personnel went to the 439th Troop Carrier Group at Halderton; the 744th Tank Battalion at Blidsworth; and the Parachute Jump School, at Ashwell, England. In view of the forthcoming operations on the continent, 56 Enlisted Men’s Army Specialist Numbers (MOS) were changed too.

  • 1 April 1944 > a group consisting of 12 Officers and 124 EM left Camp Braunstone for a “field problem” which lasted from 1400 to 2100 hours.
  • 5 April 1944 > another “field problem” took place involving a group of 12 Officers and 120 Enlisted Men; the subject included operation of Clearing and Collecting Stations and treatment and evacuation of casualties sustained in a parachute exercise.
  • 14 April 1944 > a group of 14 Officers and 135 EM left for an airfield in order to take part in a glider lift exercise, during which personnel and equipment effectively took off and landed approximately at 1500 hours.

Layout of the 82d Airborne Division Headquarters installations at Castledawson, Northern Ireland, 10 December 1943 – 12 February 1944.

Mixed groups of Officers and Enlisted Men went on TD with some other airborne units, such as the 504th Parachute Infantry Company; the 376th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion, and the 782d Airborne Ordnance Maintenance Company.
As from 19 April onward, the 307th A/B Med Co was alerted for departure, as per Par. 106, Headquarters 82d A/B Division, ETO-POM-SSV (the Division was to go on full “alert” on 26 May 1944 –ed).

In May of 1944, 1 Officer and 10 EM were sent on DS for 7 days to the 181st Air Landing Field Ambulance Unit, at Stenigot House, Lincolnshire, England. At the same time some replacements came in and joined the Company from the 10th Replacement Depot, APO 874. Enlisted medical personnel meanwhile continued to serve on temporary duty with other “All American” units, or were eventually transferred to other units in view of  Operation “Neptune”, such as the 504th, the 507th, and the 508th Parachute Infantry, while some men were assigned to the 303d Station Hospital.

On 29 May 17 Officers and 135 EM under command of Major William H. Houston left camp for a station unknown (included were the 4 Officers and 4 EM attached from the 3d Auxiliary Surgical Group). During Major Houston’s absence, 1st Lieutenant Roger M. Reinecke, O-483167, MC, assumed command.

Normandy (Operation “Neptune”):

Final roll call for 307th Airborne Medical Company personnel, 82d A/B Division, before departing for the airfield, England, June 1944

Organization of the Airborne Medical Company included 4 Collecting Detachments, 1 for each Infantry Regiment, and 1 central Clearing Station. All personnel were foreseen to be transported by glider, with the heavy equipment and transport following by sea. On 3 June, 56 Enlisted Men were assigned and joined the organization the next day, coming from the 19th Replacement Depot. They were attached to 82d A/B Division Headquarters and remained with the rear echelon in the United Kingdom. During the forthcoming operations on the continent, 1st Lieutenant R. M. Reinecke, became the Company’s acting Commanding Officer, running the UK rear or base echelon.

In the night of 5 – 6 June 1944, 8 jumpers from the 307th Airborne Medical Company parachuted into France with Division Headquarters! At 1855 hrs, the evening of 6 June, gliders towed by C-47s took off for Normandy carrying medical personnel pertaining to the 307th A/B Med Co under command of Major W. H. Houston. A total of 19 British Horsa and 1 American Waco CG4A gliders took off from England (part of Force “B”), flying over the Channel, and encountering only moderate enemy flak over the Cotentin peninsula. The main body of the Company landed together in swampy, half-flooded fields crisscrossed by small canals and ditches. The majority of the unit assembled at about 2400 hours, north of Blosville. By midnight a small Clearing Station was set up and casualties started coming in.
The next day, sad news was received that the 307th Airborne Medical Company’s Commander, Major William H. Houston, O-355901, had been killed (KIA 6 Jun 44 at 2130 hrs) together with Sgt Raymond H. Eckert, 35288393 (confirmed and officially reported in the Company’s Daily Report of 15 June 1944 –ed)! He was replaced the same day by Captain Jerry J. Belden, XO. Three hours after landing, the Company began to treat casualties from the glider crashes as well as other airborne stragglers. There were isolated pockets of troops scattered over the area, all with wounded, and every effort was being made to consolidate these groups and collect the wounded. In the early phases of the operation, medical personnel set up and collected their patients on site treating them on the spot and although they suffered from the limited amount of supplies they could carry (recovery of bundles was rather low in proportion to the number dropped) and the lack of transportation means, they still did an astounding amount of work and undoubtedly saved many lives. On D + 1, it became possible to start evacuating casualties to the Clearing Station. The final glider lift arrived in the afternoon and inevitably many more injuries occurred which further affected operations of the medical unit. After changing locations three times, because of enemy interference, they started operating on a large scale as from 9 June, only one quarter mile south of Ste-Mère-Eglise … the only available vehicles were a limited number of ¼-ton trucks (aka jeeps) and trailers brought along in the gliders but at least they allowed medical personnel to move the transportable cases to the rear, away from combat.
On 10 June, the seaborne elements (Force “C”) consisting of 2 Officers and 39 EM joined the Company and made the assembly complete. About a half mile away, the 315th Medical Battalion (90th Infantry Division) suffered a direct bomb hit that interrupted its normal operation, and for the next 36 hours, the 307th took over their casualties as well.

Jeeps and 1/4-ton Trailers of the 307th Airborne Medical Company bring in supplies at the 505th Regimental Aid Station #1, situated near La Fière DZ, approximately 2 miles west of Ste-Mère-Église.

Throughout combat operations until 4 or 5 July 1944, the single Clearing Station itself was never further than 3 miles from the frontlines! After 10 June, it was decided to move the Company Clearing Station. The Station was often subjected to enemy artillery shelling and air bombardment, and on 11 June, while having moved approximately one mile from Ste-Mère-Eglise and set up in a new area, the installation was deliberately strafed by German fighters, notwithstanding the visible Geneva Convention Red Cross markers. During this period, Captain Basil D. Anagnost, O-1693416, MC, was acting Commanding Officer at the UK rear echelon base. Displacement often proved awkward but was mostly accomplished without interfering with the service. The space occupied by the unit’s Clearing Station on the ground was often limited as the build-up further progressed since almost every available field in the DZ / LZ was occupied by some type of unit or installation. On 17 June 1944, the Company dispatched two Platoons which moved out at 2230 to support a combined attack of the 507th Parachute and 325th Glider Infantry across the Douve River. After crossing the river from Etienville, a Clearing Station was established and opened on 21 June. By 22 June, medics had cleared over 3,000 casualties, and by 5 July, the number was over 4,200.

Glider Qualification Certificate obtained by Major Jerry J. Belden, Commanding Officer, 307th Airborne Medical Company, dated 31 July 1944.

Glider Qualification Certificate obtained by Major Jerry J. Belden, Commanding Officer, 307th Airborne Medical Company, dated 31 July 1944.

After setting up across the Douve River (sixth location), the unit continuously provided medical support to the Division holding the bridgehead for more than 10 days. Later they were called upon to support VIII Corps during its frontal attack, suffering casualties from wounds and exhaustion in the process. Between 24 and 26 June the Clearing Station was subjected to heavy artillery fire, both enemy and friendly. Being still out at the Infantry Battalions, the 307th finally received some aid from VIII Corps who sent 60 aidmen and 5 ambulances to help the unit operate. (as of 17 June 1944, 5 EM were received from the 92d Replacement Battalion and attached to the Company in Leicester, England –ed). During some heavy fighting, approximately 210 American and 40 enemy wounded were cleared through the unit’s Clearing Station (3 – 4 July 1944). Casualties during the night of 6 – 7 July remained light. The Collecting units operating with the Regimental and Battalion Stations remained under constant enemy fire, often including snipers. (effective 1 July 1944, Captain Jerry J. Belden had been promoted to the rank of Major; he was back in command mid July, assisted by Captain Chester R. Lulenski, O-495020, MC, Executive Officer –ed).

Another view of personnel and vehicles pertaining to the 307th Airborne Medical Company. This photograph was taken several days after the Aid Station had been established, and the evacuation chain had been initiated. Note how the aidman standing in the foreground wears a Geneva Convention Brassard on his right Medical Pouch (typical of the Medical Detachments, 505th PIR).

Operations were concluded on 11 July 1944. After spending a night on the beach in pup tents, the unit embarked from Utah Beach on 13 July, reaching Southampton, England, and proceeding by train, returned to its Leicester base the same day. Waiting for the 307th, was the biggest group of replacements that had so far joined the Company! After the Normandy operation quite a number of Enlisted personnel received promotions to a higher rank. 35 EM were assigned and joined the Company from the 9th Replacement Depot on 13 July, while 21 EM left the unit and were transferred to the 325th Glider Infantry. By 15 July, 17 Officers and 170 EM arrived from the forward echelon at 1600, at base echelon, Leicester, England. The last 2 weeks of July, many Officers and EM went on furlough and passes (after debriefing –ed) to Scotland and other parts of England for a period of 5 days. Further transfers took place, with more replacements coming in, and assignments to temporary duty with other Airborne Regiments and Battalions.

Partial view of 1:25,000-scale field map illustrating the DZ region around Ste-Mère-Eglise as at 16 March 1944. Reference: G.S.G.S. 4347, Co B, 660th Engineer Base Topographic Battalion, 600/4/44/13MRS/1240.

Losses in Action – Normandy

KIA:                     Maj William H. Houston (O-355901) – Sgt Raymond H. Eckert (35288393) – Pvt Lelan  E. Allen (36628810) – Pvt Richard C. Smith (34193104)
WIA: Capt Alfonso J. Mooney, Jr (O-332083) – M/Sgt Carlton J. Richhart (15043679) – Sgt Eli C. Devis (14030091) – Pfc John J. Anselmo (36628778) – Pfc Gerald M. Bonsonto (36629179) – Pfc Jesus A. Millan (38462031) – Pfc Kenneth R. Owen (32846053) – Pvt George J. Comer (39294479) – Pvt Gilbert M. Montavon  (32914385)
MIA : none
PW: Capt Millard W. Nobles (O-441175) – Cpl Charles D. Bertoncini (35450078) – Cpl Emmett O. Davis (38137412) – Pfc Earl Burch (35450240) – Pfc George E. Higgins, Jr (36628567)

American and German medical personnel care for casualties of both nations in the Hospice (505th Regimental Aid Station #2) situated in the center of Ste-Mère-Église.

Award of the Medical Badge – Normandy Campaign (GO No. 111, dated 24 July 1945)
Captain Wilbur L. Davis
Captain Millard W. Nobles
1st Lieutenant Hayden Williams
Staff Sergeant Steve Vargo
Sergeant Virgil Z. Hays
Sergeant Joseph C. Shuler
Corporal Charles D. Bertoncini
Technician 5th Grade Emmett O. Davis
Technician 5th Grade Paul M. Iler
Private First Class Earl Burch
Private First Class John R. Labre
Private First Class John P. Radermacher
Private First Class Fred A. C. Peterson
Private First Class Lloyd L. Shields
Private First Class Sidney L. Smith
Private First Class Kendall A. Walker
Private Albert A. Briasco
Private A. E. Cooley
Private Wade L. DeVille
Private Delton L. Ellzey
Private Angelo Equi
Private Jesse D. Hawkins
Private George E. Higgins
Private Karl F. Krug
Private Andrew W. McAuley
Private Toivo M. Nikkinen
Private Earl F. Norton
Private Robert E. O’Brien
Private Ellsworth A. Peterson
Private Biagio Saviano
Private Cecil H. Seibert
Private Tony J. Spatafore
Private Frank N. Trumbetic
Private Michail N. Vukcevic

Holland (Operation “Market”):

Late in the morning of 18 September 1944 (D + 1), the Company took off from three different British Air Bases for Holland. The unit was broken down into 4 Collecting Companies and 1 Clearing Station, and attached was a Platoon pertaining to the 50th Field Hospital (6 Off + 55 EM) as well as 2 Auxiliary Surgical Teams (6 Off + 4 EM). The following Officers were attached from the 50th Field Hospital:

Major J. B. Marshall (O-400409)
Captain D. W. Daily (O-422086)
Captain J. R. Hall (O-422980)
Captain G. I. Mishtowt (O-463245)
Captain W. M. Wilson (O-154705)

The total lift was made up of 67 Waco CG4A gliders towed by C-47 aircraft. On board were 296 men (26 Off + 270 EM), 27 jeeps and 34 trailers, and over 10 tons of medical equipment. 11 EM from the Company had already jumped into Holland with Division Headquarters 17 September!

Holland, 18 September 1944. S/Sgt Egidio G. Lemme, ASN 31038333, 307th Airborne Medical Company, in his crashed CG4A Waco glider.

After a flight of approximately 3 ½ hours, the unit came down under mortar fire, a few men were hit, but after successfully exiting the LZ, the unit set up a first Clearing Station (real advantage of collecting casualties in one area) in an open field at 1800 hrs, some two miles west of Groesbeek. There was an overflow of patients (649 incoming patients during the first 40 hours), moreover, operations had to take place under strict blackout conditions rendering the task especially trying. The tented area (16 tents) was strafed twice by enemy planes, although Red Cross markers had been set up. After two days, the facility moved into a large building (Jesuit School) at the outskirts of Nijmegen where it would remain throughout the campaign. In fact, the Clearing Station run by the 307th was doing the work of an Evacuation Hospital! The 24th Evacuation Hospital was situated 70 miles to the rear (Leopoldsburg, Belgium), far away and difficult to reach. Later a Platoon of the 384th Motor Ambulance Company (First US Army) remained attached to help with future evacuation. On D + 3 approximately 200 casualties were evacuated. Due to severe enemy action evacuation had to be interrupted between 23 and 27 September.

As in previous Airborne operations, different groups of aidmen and litter parties were detached to the Regiments to assist with evacuation from the frontlines, and many jeep and ambulance drivers moved over roads under enemy artillery and small arms fire. Aerial resupply and enemy medical sources proved adequate except for a shortage of penicillin and oxygen. Nursing aid was obtained from Dutch volunteers with British agencies fully cooperating, so that the necessary care of the casualties was never seriously affected.

Picture of Capt Chester R. Lulenski, O-495020, MC, 307th Airborne Medical Company.

During the Holland operation, following medical units were attached to the 307th Abn Med Co; 1st Auxiliary Surgical Group (which supplied some extra Surgical Teams), 6th Field Hospital, and 50th Field Hospital (single unit, Detachment A). Subject elements were attached from 18 September to 8 October 1944. On 4 October, a C-46 aircraft was made available by the Division Air office for the evacuation of priority cases to an airfield near Brussels, Belgium.

Throughout the entire period, almost all evacuation and transfers were effected by the Company’s own means, causing no interruption in the transfer of casualties from the unit Aid Stations to the Clearing Station. Two important innovations to the Clearing Station were the use of a positive pressure Anesthesia apparatus (vital for chest and lung cases), and the introduction of a portable X-Ray machine (which arrived on 25 Sep 44). There were in fact 3 independent units operating at the time; the Clearing Station, the 307th Airborne Medical Company, and Detachment A, 50th Field Hospital.

Capt George “Chappie” B. Wood, O-471681, 505th PIR Protestant Chaplain, pictured in the ruins of buildings somewhere in Ste-Mère-Église.

After spending 2 months in Holland, everything was packed and the Company left for France by motor convoy. The date was 16 November 1944. The 307th Airborne Medical Company arrived at Sissonne, France, 17 November 1944, where it was to spend the coming winter.

Losses in Action – Holland

KIA: none
WIA: Cpl Romeo R. Kotajarvi (36413881) – Cpl Sidney S. Schreiber (32507586) – Pfc Homer L. Davis (34737905) – Pfc Archie L. Harris (34890238) – Pfc Arthur L. Kolehmainen (36413840) – Pfc Robert P. Langley (36628655) – Pfc Harry C. Leonard (16102344) – Pfc Robert L. Nielson (36629274) – Pfc Thomas P. Quinn (36629251) – Pfc Mike Stornetta (39845612)
MIA : none
PW: none

Award of the Medical Badge – Rhineland Campaign (GO No. 111, dated 24 July 1945)
Private Clarence Anderson
Private Edsel B. Ellington
Private Archie L. Harris
Private Rufus R. Horton
Private Herman R. Long
Private Quentin E. Martin

Rest and Recreation – France:

The garrison period spent at Camp Sissonne, France wasn’t nearly as comfortable as the Hospital days in Holland. Everyone was however glad to get away from the noise of artillery and the dangers of bombing. The 50th Field Hospital was staying with the 307th, and ran a Post Hospital where some of the Company’s medics were detailed to help from time to time. There were frequent passes to Reims, and even to Brussels and Paris. Things were going along nicely, and time was spent cleaning and policing the area, going through days of training, getting excellent food, watching pretty good movies and stage shows, and sleeping in warm barracks. The Company was ready to spend another Christmas away from home!

During the unit’s time at Camp Sissonne, 6 Nurses were assigned to the unit to work in the Divisional Station Hospital. There is evidence to suggest that while attached, the Nurses wore 82d Airborne Division shoulder sleeve insignia. The Nurses attached were as follows:

1st Lieutenant M. M. Edwards (N-732989)
2d Lieutenant E. B. Chabot (N-751271)
2d Lieutenant E. N. Kuttig (N-729190)
2d Lieutenant A. R. Miller (N-729113)
2d Lieutenant A. L. Smith (N-728664)
2d Lieutenant E. M. Scheessele (N-792804)

These Nurses would remain with the detachment until it moved to the Ardennes in December 1944.

Left: S/Sgt Fred B. Morgan, Jr., ASN 11046757 (member Medical Detachment, 1st Battalion, 505th PIR); center: Capt Gordon C. Stenhouse, O-327543 (Surgeon, 1st Battalion, 505th PIR) rides a ‘liberated’ German Kettenkrad Motorcycle, now adorned with Allied Symbol (blue flag with white star) and Geneva Convention Markers; right: Cpl James J. Lenagham, ASN 32565778 (member Medical Detachment, 1st Battalion, 505th PIR) was severely wounded moments following the taking of this photograph and died in hospital, in England.

Then on 17 December 1944, the news came that the Division was to move out on an unexpected mission – there were rumors of a German breakthrough – these were confirmed by radio – the Germans had launched an Offensive – and the Division was told to be ready to march the next day!

Belgium (Battle of the Bulge):

The 307th Airborne Medical Company was alerted at 2030 hrs on 17 December 1944 to prepare to leave its quarters with the Division within 12 hours, for the First Army sector, somewhere in Central Europe. Necessary preparations chiefly involving procurement of previously requisitioned medical supplies were made and the unit left its Base Camp at Sissonne, France, at 1100 on 18 December by motor transport.
The group consisted of 15 Officers and 187 Enlisted Men, augmented by 10 Officers (including 6 Nurses) and 47 EM of Detachment A, 50th Field Hospital.

The journey to Belgium was far from comfortable, everyone was uneasy about what was to follow within the next weeks, but thankful to be going to battle in a truck rather than in a glider!
After reaching Werbomont (the journey took 22 hours), the Company immediately set up its Clearing Station in tents in an area 1 mile east of town. Casualties were relatively light the first week, except for the 504th Prcht Inf after its attack against Cheneux and vicinity. It was there that the 307th spent its second Christmas overseas – but the Army kept its promise and a turkey dinner was served.
On 26 December, the entire installation was moved to Chevron (Chevron Sources), where it opened in a small Hotel building, approximately 3 miles northeast of Werbomont. Indoor conveniences allowed for more satisfactory medical care, but because of the distance between the rear and the frontlines, an advanced Collection Station was established in another area. The addition of other parachute units, such as the 517th and a separate Parachute Battalion, the 551st, caused some hardships in allowing for adequate transportation (mostly limited to jeeps), but this was worked out satisfactorily! The main thing remembered about Chevron, was the sound and   sight of Buzz Bombs (V1s) flying over; one came down and landed very near the Clearing Station, but it was a dud and it didn’t do any harm.

Picture of Capt Hubert C. Stewart, O-443562, MC, Commanding Officer, 307th Airborne Medical Company (previously Surgeon, 320th Glider Field Artillery Battalion).

During the month of December 1944, 95 cases of combat exhaustion were included in the disease admittances and 115 cases of trench foot in the injury admittances. In addition 33 wounded enemy PWs were cleared through the Company as well. It was considered that the overall medical service rendered by the 307th was very satisfactory, particularly with regards to evacuation of casualties from the forward areas to the rear echelon. The performance of the attached Army Ambulance Companies of the 176th Medical Battalion (First US Army) was excellent throughout. The only drawback was that no more facilities were available in the form of an attached Field Hospital with Surgical Teams, so as to allow for complete care of all non-transportable casualties without having to move them further back for additional treatment.

As the Allied Offensive was resumed on 3 January 1945, the forward installation was now displaced to Haute-Bodeux, Belgium. The building occupied was comfortable enough, but too small, and most of the Enlisted Men had to sleep in tents outside. The cold weather enacted its toll and climatic injuries such as trench foot and frost bite were now appearing more often. Evacuation became more difficult because of heavy snowfalls and snowdrifts impeding road traffic. There were 2338 admittances for the first ten days of January, including 103 enemy wounded. After a week, troops pulled back, and the unit moved back to Chevron for a short rest.
When in Chevron, all Company Privates became Privates First Class, because of Congressional action in the States.

Medical personnel of the 307th Airborne Medical Company use a M29 Weasel tracked vehicle to evacuate wounded comrades from the Bulge.

The Company moved from Chevron to Ligneuville on 26 January. On 27 January, the Clearing Station opened at Ligneuville. Because of the hilly terrain and the lack of adequate roads, evacuation became more difficult, and in the forward areas, Weasels (M29 tracked cargo carriers) were introduced to overcome this problem. Larger numbers of motor Ambulances were also required from the Regimental Aid Stations to help evacuate patients from the Company Clearing Station. During this time, a small group of Officers and Enlisted personnel moved to Nonceveux and set up a small quarters Hospital.
Factors affecting the effectiveness of the Company were the difficulties experienced in prompt and fast evacuation, caused by a certain lack of sufficient vehicles – scarcity of good and adequate roads – and the importance of bad climatic and living conditions.

On 29 January 1945, the 307th Airborne Medical Company arrived at Wallerode by motor convoy for a brief stay in a damaged school building where it established an advanced Clearing Station which somewhat contributed to solve the evacuation problem in the area. The main channels of evacuation from the front took place over the ice covered firebreaks in the forests. Apart from a sudden rise of casualties suffered by the 325th Gli Inf Regt when it broke through the Siegfried Line at Neuhof and Udenbreth, the overall number of patients remained low to moderate.
The unit left again on 6 February for Lierneux, where it only stayed for two days, before receiving marching orders for Germany which it reached on 9 February. The 307th opened next at Roetgen, Germany, where it would spend the next 10 days.

Losses in Action – Ardennes (Bulge):

KIA: Sgt Lloyd L. Snider (35137500) – Cpl Armando J. Olivero (12014614) – Pfc Glenn W. Raine (39700225) – Pfc Jesse D. Hawkins (33654797)
WIA: Cpl William A. Smith (36413585) – Pfc Ralph E. Bradley (35233025) – Pfc William Davis (34255313) – Pfc Biagio Saviano (32507261)
MIA : none
PW: none


The 307th rode unmolested through the so-called impregnable Siegfried Line into Germany. Arriving in Roetgen, the town buildings were almost intact and there was little rubble or destruction. The Company set up in a former German Beer Hall. The snow had meanwhile kept on melting and the mud was now literally knee-deep!

Ludwigslust, 7 May 1945. Official re-burial of 200 bodies of KZ-Wöbbelin, organized by the 82d Airborne Division, in presence of Airborne personnel, captured German Army Officers, and German citizens. Funeral rites were held by Major George B. Wood, Division Chaplain.

Most of the incoming casualties were the result of land mines and booby traps. Throughout the scope of military action in this sector until 19 February, the Clearing Station remained in Roetgen. A temporary movement was accomplished when the Company was divided to establish two separate Clearing Stations, one in the vicinity of Brandenburg, and the other near Schmidt. This had to do with the planned crossing of the Ruhr River, which however was cancelled. Both Stations were abandoned and torn down on 17 February.
The 307th reassembled at Roetgen, and began the long and wearisome train and motor trip back to Camp Sissonne, France, to reorganize, reequip, and continue training…

LVTs are being assembled for the Ruhr River assault crossing. Similar tracked vehicles were used by the 82d A/B Division for crossing the Elbe River 30 April 1945.

Losses in Action – Germany

KIA: Pfc Manley J. Merrill (42029432)
WIA: none
MIA : none
PW: none


The 307th Airborne Medical Company returned to Sissonne, France, with mixed emotions. Some of the men were glad to be back, but some would just as soon have stayed in Belgium or Germany, for when being there they were fortunate enough to have buildings to stay in most of the time. When arriving at Camp Sissonne on 21 February, everyone found out that they were now set up in a tent city! Luckily, there were enough sleeping cots, warm blankets, and pot bellied stoves, but … the camp site had to be made presentable, there were sidewalks to  build, there was cord of wood to cut when the coal ran out, and much more. This made classes and training almost impossible.
Passes and furloughs were granted, not only to visit Reims, Paris and Brussels, but a few 7-day furloughs were obtained to England and the French Riviera. Rotation furloughs were also begun for some of the men who had been away from home for the longest time.

The invincible Siegfried Line had been pierced, but everyone was thinking of the next operation – a Rhine crossing was most probable, since more and more Allied troops were reaching the river everyday – moreover, it seemed logical that an Airborne Division would precede any actual crossing. The establishment of the Remagen Bridgehead sent Company morale soaring, and the 17th Airborne Division’s assault on 24 March 1945 shot it up to the very peak!

The 82d Airborne which had been part of every major operation in the European Theater, couldn’t miss the end of the show, and on 2 April 1945, the Company began the long trek to Cologne – back into Germany!

Captain (later Major) Jerry J. Belden, MC, O-375276, was awarded the Silver Star Medal (GO # 44, 7 August 1944) the Bronze Star Medal (GO # 28, 1945), the Purple Heart (GO # 48, 1945), and the French Croix de Guerre with silver star (GO # 54, 1945), following his service in the European Theater of Operations. Here follows the citation for award of the Silver Star:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress 9 July 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star Medal to Major (Medical Corps), Jerry J. Belden (ASN: O-375276), United States Army, for gallantry in action while serving with the 307th Airborne Medical Company, 82d Airborne Division, in action against the enemy in Normandy, France, on 6 June 1944.

Ceremony during which Captain J. J. Belden gets promoted to the grade of Major. The  Officer is Major General Matthew B. Ridgway, CG, 82d Airborne Division. The date must be early July 1944 (J. J. Belden served from 7 May 1942 until 5 December 1945 in the Zone of Interior, Mediterranean Theater, European Theater, and eventually in Japan).

Ceremony during which Captain J. J. Belden gets promoted to the grade of Major. The Officer is Major General Matthew B. Ridgway, CG, 82d Airborne Division. The date must be early July 1944 (J. J. Belden served from 7 May 1942 until 5 December 1945 in the Zone of Interior, Mediterranean Theater, European Theater, and eventually in Japan).


The Company departed Camp Sissonne, France for a motor movement into the area of Cologne, Germany. The Division was assigned the mission of occupying a wide area on the west bank of the Rhine, in order to prevent enemy forces trapped in the Ruhr pocket from crossing the river in order to govern and control this sector.
The 307th Clearing Station was set up in the “Sankt Elisabeth Krankenhaus”, an immense German civilian Hospital building which had every possible commodity such as a mess hall, big bathrooms with hot water, large wards, lots of beds, tables and chairs, it just missed all of its windows!
Casualties remained light and mostly resulted from extensive patrol activities across the Rhine. Sick and wounded from DP Camps under Division control were evacuated with the Company’s help. The DP Camps were located in former Luftwaffe or Wehrmacht Barracks. Military Government duties in Cologne were taken over from the 86th Infantry Division.

Düren, 26 April 1945. 666th QM Trk Co vehicles deliver 82d Airborne Division troops to the Düren railhead for transportation to Bleckede for the Elbe River crossing.

Then came the order to move across the Rhine River and deeper into Germany. From there on till the end of the war in Europe, the 307th would almost continually be split up and on the move.

The next change of Station took place on 26 April 1945 when the unit set up shop at Groß Malchow, in the vicinity of Ulzen, Germany. After this stay, the Clearing Station became operational in the town of Kostorf, near Bleckede. The successful Elbe River crossing in the early morning hours of 30 April necessitated a displacement of the Collecting Companies to the far shore immediately after completion of a pontoon bridge across the river. Casualty evacuation was carried out by using British-operated Buffaloes (LVT2 and LVT4 tracked landing vehicles) for transportation across the river, where Ambulances then took over to continue to the Clearing Station. Casualties remained surprisingly light. The following day, the 307th moved on to Lubtheen, where it arrived on 2 May. It did not remain long in order to keep pace with the rapidly advancing troops and armor, and hit the road by motor convoy once more, bound for Ludwigslust. Following the collapse of enemy resistance in the sector, and after hearing of the death of Adolf Hitler, everything went very quickly, as the Germans began surrendering in droves. Because of the wide dispersal of Divisional troops it was decided to continue to operate a small Clearing Station in Lubtheen, while the rest of the Company went on to Ludwigslust, where it arrived 4 May 1945.

Overall battle casualties remained light and by 8 May 1945 (V-E Day), only 41 patients were treated and evacuated.

The Company got back together and occupied a German Labor Camp, where they met large numbers of regular  Wehrmacht soldiers who after surrendering, marched unarmed and without guards, to the PW cages! The 307th, together with other Divisional units, witnessed the downfall of the once mighty Wehrmacht – for the better part of two days, after the 21st German Army had surrendered to the 82d Airborne, surrendering enemy troops filed past the camp, and they were a pretty sorry looking bunch. They came in cars and trucks, they were on wagons and riding bicycles, and many were on foot, it was an endless caravan of beaten soldiers, who had once been a proud and strong Army! Once in a while, a French, Polish, or Russian DP would make a dash and seize a car, a wagon, or a bicycle, and there was nothing the Germans could do, no one stopped them!

Wöbbelin Concentration Camp, 3 May 1945. 82d Airborne personnel guard one of the Camp’s gates while former inmates carry one of their comrades to his final resting place…

The remainder of the first period at Ludwigslust was spent operating a large Clearing Station downtown, and a smaller Station at Lubtheen. In addition to the Clearing Stations, Company medical personnel supervised 6 Wehrmacht Hospitals and controlled 1 large DP Hospital.

Not far from Ludwigslust a German Concentration Camp had been liberated (KZ Wöbbelin – liberated 2 May) and most of the men had the opportunity to visit it. Here was conclusive evidence of the brutality of the people the Allies had been fighting all of the time – it was almost impossible to describe the horror of the camp as it is to think of a fitting punishment for its instigators. Nobody from the unit was to ever forget that particular sight of a Prison Camp for Political Prisoners. Most members of the 307th attended the special funeral services for the victims of Nazi atrocities, organized by the Division Chaplain, Major George B. Wood O-471681, MC, on 7 May. The civilian population was required to be present, they were led past the graves and had to look at the bodies, followed by Nazi officials who also were forced to look at the result of their incredible work of horror. As it was impossible to provide enough coffins, many bodies were buried in simple white sheets.

Award of the Medical Badge – Ardennes-Alsace Campaign (GO No. 14, dated 1 December 1945)
13 Enlisted Men were awarded the badge for satisfactory performance of duty under actual combat conditions on 4 January 1945

Award of the Medical Badge – Central Europe Campaign (GO No. 15, dated 5 December 1945)
3 Officers and 35 Enlisted Men were awarded the badge for satisfactory performance of duty under actual
combat conditions from 24 March 1945 through 10 April 1945


Early in June 1945, the 307th Airborne Medical Company was alerted and on 1 June moved by train from Ludwigslust, Germany to Sissonne, France. A motor convoy with Officers and EM left 4 June and arrived at Sissonne on 6 June. The move was completed by 8 June 1945. While at Sissonne, the unit kept busy repairing equipment and checking records. The most important topic became the newly released Point System, and nearly everyone felt pretty sure he was going to get out of the war fairly shortly!

Vehicles of the 307th Airborne Medical Company prepared for the invasion of Normandy. Note the interesting markings on the 1/4-ton Trailer covers, and also the small ‘invasion star’ on the hood of the Jeeps.

On 14 June, the Company moved by motor and rail to Epinal, France, where it was billeted in French Military Post Barracks. On 24 June, 131 men were transferred to the 224th Airborne Medical Company of the 17th Airborne Division forredeployment to the Zone of Interior. These soldiers were replaced by 132 low point Enlisted Men of the same unit. On 1 July, 11 Officers left the Company to join the 224th Abn Med Co, and were replaced by 9 Officers from the 17th A/B Div on 5 July.

Major Jerry J. Belden, O-375276, MC, CO > 307th Airborne Medical Company, was also transferred to the 17th Airborne Division, and returned to the United States. He was replaced by Captain Hubert C. Stewart, O-443562, MC (former Battalion Surgeon, 320th Glider Field Artillery Battalion), who assumed command on 3 July 1945.

Postwar picture of Major J. J. Belden, taken some time in 1945 (the Officer was eventually transferred to the 17th Airborne Division, where he  became CO of the 224th Airborne Medical Company 1 July 1945).

Postwar picture of Major J. J. Belden, taken some time in 1945 (the Officer was eventually transferred to the 17th Airborne Division, where he became CO of the 224th Airborne Medical Company 1 July 1945).

During July 1945, 43 .30 caliber Carbines were issued to the Company and a Defense Platoon was organized. Medical Technicians operated 2 Pro Stations at Epinal, while the remainder of the unit carried out an extensive training program. The last week of July was spent in preparation for the move to Berlin, Germany, as part of the US Occupation Forces.


On 3 August 1945, 3 Officers and 80 EM departed by train from Epinal, and the following day 14 Officers and 133 men left by motor convoy. The 560-mile move was completed without incident on 7 August, when both the motor and train convoy arrived safely in Berlin, the former German capital.

Medical ID Card (2d pattern, laminated) of Pfc John L. Randall, ASN 33727821, member Medical Detachment 307th Airborne Engineer Battalion ( 82d Abn Div).

The 307th relieved C Company of the 48th Armored Medical Battalion (2d Armored Division) and was billeted in a schoolhouse in Zehlendorf, Berlin.
Immediately upon arrival, Company personnel began to operate Dispensaries at a DP’s Camp and in a War Criminals Camp. In the latter part of August 1945, the Dispensary work at the DP’s Camp was taken over by a United Nations Agency (UNRRA).
A Clinic for VD was opened on 20 August and operated by a few Officers and Medical Technicians.
During Occupation activities, Captain H.C. Stewart remained in command.

The 82d Airborne Division was relieved of Occupation duty by December, and then prepared its return to the United States via the United Kingdom. The whole Division finally embarked on the “Queen Mary”, which departed Southampton, England on 29 December 1945, arriving in New York on 3 January 1946.

307th Airborne Medical Company Roster (incomplete)

Abbott, Herman J. (Pvt) 15112738
Goecke, William E. (Pvt) 35137517
Orr, Casselman R. (Pvt) 37626512
Abbott, James C (Pvt) 34276902
Gottschammer, Arthur C. (Pvt) 36628845
Osteen, Wentworth J. (Capt) O-1684106
Abromowitz, Manuel (Pfc) 35136874
Griffith, Willard (Pvt) 34810496
Overly, Daniel S. (Tec 5) 33235830
Adams, George E., Jr. (Pfc) 35450220
Guidry, Aymond A. (Sgt)
Owen, Kenneth R. (Pvt, Pfc) 32846053
Adkins, Froud E. (Pfc) 35137092
Guilfoyle, James J. (Pvt) 42004538
O’Brien, Robert E. (Pvt, Pfc) 36628616
Adkins, Hobert C. (Sgt) 35137216
Hager, John F. (Pfc, Tec 4) 35136632
O’Mara, William D. (Pvt) 38534516
Ailiff, William E., Jr.
Hamilton, Charles S. (Tec 5, 2d Lt) O-2011809
Page, Carter L. (Pvt) 33650698
Alessio James J. (Pvt) 35912451
Hamilton, Glen A. (Pvt, Pfc) 39836244
Pandolph, John C. (Pvt) 31357639
Alhart, John L. (Capt) O-1691095
Hardy, Ismol (Pfc) 38047271
Parrish, Douglas C. (Pvt, Pfc) 34255909
Allen, Averill C. (Tec 4, Sgt) 35137186
Harrington, Ross C.
Paterno, Daniel J. (Pfc) 32507380
Allen, Lelan E. (Pvt) 36628810
Harris, Archie L. (Pvt, Pfc) 34890238
Patterson, Lee M. (Pvt) 34794884
Allison, Randolph (Tec 5, Cpl) 35136613
Hawkins, Jesse D. (Pfc) 33654797
Pavone, Anthony V. (Tec 5) 32034148
Alvarez, Lawrence J. (Capt) O-420147
Hays, Virgil E. (Sgt) 20541580
Pearce, Paul S. (Pfc, Cpl) 36070871
Anagnost, Basil D. (Capt) O-1693416
Hebert, Philip J., Jr. (Pvt) 42014298
Perkinson, William S. (Tec 5, Cpl) 20715950
Anderson, Clarence (Pvt) 34107771
Henderson, Lomas A. (Pvt) 34815835
Perrine, Emwood W. (Pfc) 35136590
Anselmo, John J. (Pvt, Pfc) 36628778
Hensley, Arlie A. (Pvt) 15112758
Pessin, Jack (Pvt) 13136541
Avery, John (Pfc) 36168943
Higgins, George E., Jr. (Pvt) 36628567
Peterson, Arne J. (Sgt) 36396039
Ayscue, Bennie (Pvt) 34253409
Hill, Abel L. (Capt) O-1693023
Peterson, Ellsworth A. (Pvt) 36413745
Baker, Francis, G. (Pvt) 32446849
Hill, Ether C. Jr. (Pvt, Cpl, S/Sgt) 15055180
Peterson, Fred A. C. (Pfc) 36289581
Baldwin, John W. (Tec 4) 14080283
Hinchman, Harold A. (Pfc) 35425153
Petty, Merle M. (Pvt) 37206480
Barrows, Norman E. (Pfc, Cpl) 35136565
Hodge, Charles M. (Pvt) 15058492
Phillips, Alvin L. (Pfc) 39526354
Belden, Jerry J. (Capt, Maj) O-375276
Holbrook, Joseph S. (Capt) O-309413
Phillips, Paul C. (Pvt) 39179617
Belhorn, Richard W. (Tec 4, S/Sgt) 35291870
Horton, Rufus R. (Pvt) 34828948
Pierce, Lloyd G. 17015156
Benbrook, James A. (S/Sgt)
Houston, William H. (Maj) O-355901
Pisko, Edward J. (Tec 5) 33136969
Bergeron, Herbert Z. (Pvt) 34234935
Hruska, Frank L. (Pfc) 36413742
Pittman, Thurman A. (Pvt) 38530762
Bertoncini, Charles D. (Cpl) 35450078
Huchel, Robert C. (Pvt) 36070798
Polaske, Eugene W. (Pfc) 36289520
Block, Arnold S. (Capt)
Hunt, Louis D.
Pratt, James G. (Pvt) 38509576
Bonano, Paul (Pvt) 36628757
Hurt, Raymond L. (Pfc) 35450253
Price, Floyd W. (Pvt) 34737039
Bonsonte, Gerald M. (Pvt, Pfc) 36629179
Iler, Paul M. (Tec 5, Cpl) 35137510
Price, Shelton (Tec 5, Cpl) 35136643
Bozarth, Clifford W. (Pvt) 32754052
Iverson, Clifford I. (Pvt) 37483931
Quartana, Joseph L. (Pfc) 32506604
Bradley, Ralph E. (Pfc) 35233025
Jackson, Harold (Sgt)
Quidry, Aymond A. (Sgt) 34234725
Brady, Ralph O. (Pvt) 35747855
Johnson, Herbert E. (Pvt) 36628831
Quinn, Thomas P. (Pvt, Pfc) 36629251
Bramer, Curtis (Pfc) 6781000
Johnson, John W. (Pvt) 34255162
Radermacher, John P. (Pvt, Pfc) 36239575
Briasco, Albert A. (Pvt) 36628838
Johnson, Lonnie (Pfc, Cpl) 35136615
Raine, Glenn W. (Pfc) 39700225
Broome, Merle E. (Pfc) 37419532
Johnstone, Glen E.(Pfc) 35233191
Rankin, James S. (Pfc)
Brozovich, George J. (Pvt) 36413678
Jones, Raymond E. (Pvt, Pfc) 35018227
Rautiola, Matt A. (Tec 5) 36185917
Buchanan, Elmer W. (Tec 5, Cpl, Tec 4) 34255653
Jones, Zollie A. (Pvt) 35932074
Ravan, Albert L., Jr. (Pvt, Pfc) 34658773
Bullock, Harold R.
Kanya, John (1st Lt, Capt) O-1690151
Reinecke, Roger M. (1st Lt) O-483167
Burch, Earl (Pfc) 35450240
Kapp, Don A. (Pfc) 35136787
Rhinelander, John G. (Pvt) 39394193
Burroughs, George T. (Tec 4, Sgt) 34255531
Katzman, Benjamin (Tec 5) 32501974
Richhart, Carlton J. (M/Sgt, F/Sgt) 15042679
Busonik, Steve, Jr. (Cpl) 35289376
Keating, John E. (Tec 5) 12148383
Ridgeway, Clinton R. (Pfc) 35137495
Bussiere, Henry A. (Pvt) 32517528
Keel, Andrew C. (Tec 4) 35552235
Roach, Charles J. (Pfc) 35450134
Campbell, Mancil A. (Pvt) 35137387
Keeley, Thomas G. (Tec 5) 32191928
Roland, Albert E. (Pvt) 34143747
Canelli, Gaetano J. (Pvt) 32354168
Kent, Dewey L. (Pvt) 34776685
Rosenberg, Nathan (Capt)
Canizarro Francis R. (1st Lt) O-1541889
King, Harry B. (Tec 4) 19066938
Ross, Avron H. (Capt)
Carco, James (Pvt) 36629220
King, Owen B. (Pvt) 34539650
Ross, Edwin P., Jr. (Pfc) 15076309
Carlino, Charles (Pvt) 36629211
King, Vincent R. (Pvt) 42035332
Rossiter, Donald E. (Capt) O-231339
Carson, James H.
Kinsey, George W. (Tec 5, Tec 4) 37506608
Rowe, William H. (Tec 4) 39399031
Cerone, Patrick J.
Kirscher, Albert A. (Pvt, Pfc) 32248048
Rudd, Charles R. (Pvt) 33748886
Chapla, Albert B. (Capt, Maj) O-336675
Klenzak, Walter J. (Pvt) 36628693
Ruhl, William A. (Pvt) 33733401
Chavez, John B.
Knightstep, Paul B. (Pvt) 39092237
Sanders, Grover G. (Pvt) 34823423
Chay, John (Pvt) 42036726
Knutson, Willard D. (Pfc) 37438360
Saulsberry, Alfred W. (Pfc) 34190563
Chisman, Charles H. (Pfc) 38141566
Koeppen, Robert H. (Pvt) 36289526
Saviano, Biagio (Pvt, Pfc) 32507261
Cholmondeley, Jack A. (S/Sgt, M/Sgt) 35126697
Kolehmainen, Arthur L. (Pvt, Pfc) 36413840
Scavinski, Thomas (Pvt) 35289578
Civor, Lloyd E. (Pvt) 38486520
Kosirog, Leonard B. (Pvt) 36760167
Schnitger, Donald F. (Pvt) 36820934
Cobb, Perry D., Jr. (Sgt, S/Sgt) 34255636
Kostyra, Benjamin P. (Pvt) 32506305
Schreiber, Sidney S. (Cpl) 32507586
Cockerham, Elma J. (Pvt) 34236125
Kotajarvi, Romeo R. (Pfc, Cpl) 36413881
Schwartz, Benjamin (Pvt) 33791026
Cockrell, John L. 33750821
Kozusko, Stephen M. (Pfc) 35289375
Schweighardt, Cecil (2d Lt) O-2046818
Cogar, Amada A. (Pvt) 35136913
Kraus, Jerome D. (Pfc) 36396071
Scott, Ralph (Pvt) 34255648
Cole, Rudy B. (Pvt) 34255669
Krebs, John Jr. (Pfc) 35137491
Scott, Theodore L. (Tec 5) 31256764
Comer, George J. (Pvt) 39294479
Kristich, James R. (Pvt) 36877109
Scribner, Harvey O. (Pfc) 20654633
Cooley, A. E. (Pvt) 38392430
Krug, Karl F. (Pvt, Pfc) 36629018
Seagraves, William R. (Pvt) 36628708
Cooper, Lloyd (Tec 4) 35285655
Kuak, Albin V. (Capt) O-1691299
Seibert, Cecil H. (Pvt, Pfc) 39248050
Corpus, Lawrence G. (Cpl)
Kuebler, Herbert A. (Pfc)
Serrentino Vincent (Pvt) 31370683
Cottrell, Hollie W. (Pvt, Pfc) 35137324
LaMonica, Allie T. (Pvt) 35399453
Sgrizzi, Angelo M. (Tec 4, Sgt) 32019723
Crane, Jack S. (Pvt) 31371273
Labre, John R. (Pfc, Cpl) 36413711
Shapiro, Norman (Pvt) 32700571
Craven, Lane A. (Pvt) 33042758
Lacher, Ivan S. (Pvt) 35761579
Sharp, Bernice W. (Pfc)
Craver, Clarence R. (Pfc) 32492539
Land, Charles A. (Pfc) 35450126
Sheehan, James E. (Pvt) 36628497
Crawford, Robert R. (Pvt) 36628648
Lang, Albert G. (Pvt) 36628956
Shields, Lloyd L. (Pfc) 35135701
Cremering, John B.(Tec 5) 35450067
Langley, Robert P. (Pfc) 36628655
Shuler, Joseph C. (Pvt, Cpl, Tec 4, Sgt) 34213669
Crooks, Lloyd C. (Pvt) 38486520
Lapienski, Edward J., Jr. (Sgt, S/Sgt, F/Sgt) 6997440
Sieber, George E. (Pvt) 35917679
Cross, Bert (Sgt) 34200496
Larsen, Eric H. (Tec 5, Cpl) 37290124
Simminger, Fred C. (Tec 5) 32222634
Cruz, Charles V. 36004309
Laughridge, John G. (Pfc) 34255037
Smith, Francis E. (Cpl)
Cruz, John (Pvt) 32641632
Lavieri, Frank J. (Capt) O-3111819
Smith, John L. (Tec 5, Tec 4, Sgt) 14099527
Cucinelli, Amelio (Pvt) 31359926
LeCause, Frank J. (Pvt) 33266403
Smith, Preston S. (Pvt) 34255660
Cullen, Joseph F. (Pvt) 37548733
Leachman, Martin E. (Tec 5, Cpl) 7006738
Smith, Richard C. (Pvt) 34193104
Cuti, Mike J. (Pvt) 38498134
Lecke, Harold I. (Capt) O-501779
Smith, Sidney L. (Pfc) 35137203
Cutright, James W. (Tec 5, Cpl) 35137050
Ledington, William J. (Cpl) 39022086
Snider, Lloyd L. (Sgt) 35137500
Czapka, Mitchell J. (Pfc) 36325973
Lemme, Egidio G. (Pvt, S/Sgt) 31038333
Snyder, Jack (S/Sgt) 33028157
Danser, James W. 32567037
Lemonds, George L. (Pfc) 34255655
Sopel, Alexander S. (Pfc) 33899015
Davis, Eli C. (Sgt) 14030091
Leonard, Harry C. (Pvt, Pfc) 16102344
Spatafore, Tony J. (Pvt) 37578706
Davis, Emmett O. (Tec 5, Cpl, Tec 3) 38137412
Lepler, Morton M. (Capt) O-497908
Stanley, Maywood H. (Pfc, Cpl) 35137331
Davis, Homer L. (Pvt, Pfc) 34737905
Levitt, Leo S. (Pvt) 36307581
Steier, Abraham (Pfc) 32526171
Davis, Wilbur L. (1st Lt, Capt) O-372355
Linkus, Joseph M. (Pfc) 36612501
Stewart, Hubert C. (Capt) O-443562
Davis, William (Pvt, Pfc) 34255313
Lock, Charles E. 35451580
Stoga, Ollie J. (Sgt) 36325893
DeLee, Willie L. (Pfc) 34235098
Lombardo, Vito (Pvt) 32274457
Stornetta, Mike (Pfc) 39845612
Dembek, Ben (Pfc) 35043595
Long, Herman R. (Pvt, Pfc) 34885917
Stowers, Cecil (Pfc) 35137132
Denny, Noel B. (Pfc)
Long, James A. (Pvt) 34141751
Swaninger, Carl R. 35632998
Depfer, Willam J. (Pvt) 33301126
Longe, Howard C.
Tafoya, Gilbert C. (Pvt) 39017253
Desmond, John W. (T/Sgt) 16006450
Lulenski, Chester R. (Capt) O-495020
Taylor, Kenneth W. (Pfc, Tec 4) 35159399
Devenny, John J. (1st Lt)
Lundberg, Loren F. (Pvt) 17164914
Taylor, Vernon (Tec 4) 14011992
Devilder, William, F. (Pfc) 35760382
Mairs, Marcus R. (Tec 5) 15091098
Temple, Howard R. (Pfc, Tec 4) 35136791
Deville, Wade L. (Pvt, Pfc) 38486525
Malamed, Lionel M. (Pvt, Tec 5) 32974615
Temple, Howard R. (Pfc, Tec 4, Sgt) 35136791
Devis, Eli C. (Sgt) 14030091
Mandelinsky Sol (Pvt, Pfc) 32975588
Teufel, Lloyd C. (Tec 5) 35291521
Devoe, Edward J.
Maple, Graydeon R. (Tec 5, Cpl) 39157388
Thaxton, Guy (Cpl) 35425004
Dibble, Howard, C. (1st Lt) O-472355
Marshall, Harold J. (Pvt) 42047230
Thomas, Olliver D., Jr. (Pvt) 36629005
Dobbins, James A. (Pfc)
Martin, Quentin E. (Pvt) 32942464
Thompson, John R. (Pvt, Pfc) 35136555
Donovan, Michael M. (Capt) O-885087
Mata, Joe M. (Pvt) 38539598
Thompson, Toivo A. (Pvt) 36413384
Drake, Adolphus A., Jr. 34254382
Matlow, Philip (Sgt) 35056590
Thrift, Carl R. (Pvt) 34821818
Dugger, Burch (Pvt) 34886320
May, George E.
Tinsley, Willard M. (Pfc) 34263589
Dunn, Lester B. (Tec 5) 35136889
May, William L. (Pfc)
Tomascin, Andrew J. (S/Sgt) 35291581
Durall, William E. (Pvt) 35808337
McAlpine, Arthur R. (1st Lt) O-453932
Trumbetic, Frank N. (Pvt) 33700682
Dykes, Wylie J., Jr. (Pvt) 38047646
McAuley, Andrew W. (Pvt, Pfc, Tec 5) 33781820
Trump, Harl N. (Pfc) 35136519
Eaton, Robert E. (Pvt) 19176169
McClain, Walter R. (Pfc) 35289465
Tucker, Charley G. (Pvt) 39261201
Eckert, Raymond H. (Sgt) 35288393
McGrath, Frank (1st Lt) O-1542156
Van Zandt, Lloyd G. (Pvt) 35894459
Edwards, Glenn H. (Pvt, Pfc) 34255879
McGuigan, Thomas J. (Pvt, Pfc) 12149832
Vance, Eugene E. (Pfc) 17029522
Edwards, Weston W. (Pvt) 34887573
McMurray, Fred H. (Pvt, Pfc) 33735407
Vance, Eugene W. (Pfc) 39172174
Ellington, Edsel B. (Pvt) 13016930
Meade, Thomas (Pvt) 35290133
Vanders, Alphonse M. (Pvt) 36413722
Ellison, Harry R. (Pfc) 35425194
Meditz, Frank A. (Tec 5, Tec 4) 32019702
Varco, Arthur J. (1st Lt) O-1691303
Ellzey, Delton L. (Pvt) 34272972
Meinz, Harold J. (Tec 5) 37291605
Vargo, Anthony J. 35154928
Endow, Saul P. (Pvt) 33028157
Merrill, Manley J. (Pvt, Pfc) 42029432
Vargo, Steve (S/Sgt) 35425074
English, Henry W. (1st Lt) O-1541789
Methner Richard (S/Sgt) 32067683
Vaughn, Robert L. (Tec 5) 32506234
Equi, Angelo (Pvt, Tec 5) 36628578
Migala, Vito (Pvt) 39133350
Vertin, Peter J. (Pvt) 36413876
Erlbaum, Morris (Pfc) 32975579
Mikus, Joseph (Pfc) 35425160
Vukcevic, Michael N. (Pfc) 35135632
Erskine, John K. (Pvt) 33802444
Millan, Jesus A. (Pvt, Pfc) 38462031
Wagen, Raymond F. (Cpl)
Estrada, Eugene L. (Pvt) 39017403
Miller, Joseph B. (Pvt) 32933329
Waits, John R.
Etienne, Wolcott L. (Maj, Lt Col) O-22277
Miller, Russell F. (Pvt, Pfc) 36413682
Walker, Kendall A. (Pfc) 35425030
Eudowe, Saul W. (Pvt) 31337662
Millsaps, Neal T. Jr. (Cpl) 35344274
Walkington, Paul (Pvt) 37336412
Evans, Henry C. (Cpl, Sgt, S/Sgt) 15055394
Mogab, John A. (Pvt) 33762013
Walsh, Walter S. (Pvt) 39619856
Extejt, Andrew J. (Capt) O-1693407
Montavon, Gilbert M. (Pvt, Pfc) 32914385
Wanst, John J. (Pvt, Pfc) 36326123
Farese, Peter S. (Sgt) 11119685
Mooney, Alfonso J., Jr. (Capt) O-231339
Ward, Orville C. (Pfc) 15112820
Farrell, Patrick N. (Pvt) 16004219
Morgan, John P. (Pfc) 32492837
Wardlaw, Bryce E. (Pvt) 35137549
Fedorcha, Thomas A. (Pfc) 33622808
Moser, George R. (Pvt) 35916041
Wardley, Russell G. (Tec 4, Sgt, S/Sgt) 35289676
Fike, William H. (Tec 5) 35291651
Mossburg, Donald L. (Pvt) 35896140
Watkins, Joseph W. (Pfc) 15401372
Firestein, Wallace C. (S/Sgt) 16002002
Mullholland, Francis H.
Watkins, Pete G. (S/Sgt) 38003519
Fisher, Clarence C., Jr. (Pfc) 35425107
Mulligan, Edward A.
Way, Frederick P. (Pvt) 35917639
Fisher, Francis W. (Pfc)
Mullins, Clyde M. (Pvt) 34886255
Waybright, Sturl R. (Pvt) 35290015
Fix, William J., Jr. (Pfc) 35500271
Mussat, Edward F. (Pvt) 39138285
Webb, Oval (Tec 5, Cpl) 35137315
Fleming, Broadus C. (Pfc) 34210641
Nail, Randolph
Weihrauch, Berthold (Pvt) 32685274
Fletcher, Elzie A. (Pvt, Pfc) 35425034
Neer, Stanley H. (Pvt) 12174797
Wells, Fullerton H. (Capt)
Flintz, Edwin O. (Pvt) 36628977
Nelson, Delmer R. (Pvt, Pfc) 35136550
Wheeler, Morton (Pvt) 35425139
Ford, Ira E. (Pvt) 33200859
Nicholas, James B. (Pvt, Pfc) 20423770
White, Charles D. (Pfc) 35137213
Fout, Kenneth O. (Pvt) 35137580
Nichols, Arbie (Cpl) 35450100
White, Sterling (Pfc, Tec 5) 35137462
Freeland, Rudolph M. (Pfc) 36582565
Nida, Joseph M. (Pvt) 35425050
Whitsitt, James J. (Maj) O-1701234
Fugere, Maurice R. (Pfc) 31348628
Nielsen, Robert L. (Pvt, Pfc) 36629274
Wiercinski, Frank P. (Pfc) 36413438
Gabriele, Philip 32907987
Nikkinnen, Toivo M. (Pvt, Pfc) 36413540
Wike, Glenn K. (Pvt) 33684199
Gaffin, Oscar A. (Pfc) 35137529
Nilges, Jacob R. (Pvt) 37180477
Wilhelm, Harold P. (Pvt) 32161655
Gallegos, Frank J. (Tec 5, Cpl) 37348047
Nobles, Millard W. (1st Lt., Capt) O-497175
Williams, Barrett B.(Pvt) 39848313
Gennari, Armando (Pvt) 36886019
Norton, Earl F. (Pvt) 33733637
Williams, Hayden (1st Lt) O-398328
Gentry, John B. Jr. (Tec 5, Cpl) 35136862
Norton, Jake (Pfc) 39526501
Wurtz, Raymond A. (Capt) O-345283
Gibbs, Albert J. (Pvt) 35137574
Novak, Stephen A. (Pvt, Tec 4, Sgt) 35289372
Wyatt, Paul W. (Pfc) 34213225
Gibson, Cledith E. (Pvt, Cpl, Sgt) 6668826
Novak, Stephen A. (Sgt) 35289372
Wyche, Gordon V. (Pvt) 34678625
Gibson, Everett E. (Pfc)
Novinski, Abraham (Capt) O-494541
Wyrick, Carl H. (Pvt) 37540151
Gillespie, Dale E. (Tec 5) 15101151
Olesh, Isidore (Pvt) 42042938
Zaffiro Joseph (2d Lt, 1st Lt) O-1547514
Gillotte, Joseph A. (Pfc) 36413627
Oliver, Luther W. (F/Sgt) 6897391
Zanich, Marion F. (Pvt) 36669933
Giron, Daniel J. (Pvt) 39703287
Olivero, Armando J. (Cpl) 12014614
Zeitler, Fred V. (Pfc) 32493130
Glashow, Samuel (Capt) O-502962
Olsen, George R. (Pvt) 36699260
Zellmer, Edward A. (Pfc) 36234599
Glendening, George W. 35136595
Opalko, Steve G. (Pvt) 33164554
Zimmerman, John H. (Pvt) 34739876

Copy of the Unit Citation awarded to the 307th Airborne Medical Company, 82d Airborne Division.

Some of the images used on this page are courtesy of the Carentan Historical Center, Normandy, France and remain their property and copyright. The authors are still looking for additional rosters, personnel losses, and Medical Badge awards related to WW2 operations of the 307th Airborne Medical Company. Thank you. We would also like to thank Loz Wright, who has kindly shared some additional data with us.

This page was printed from the WW2 US Medical Research Centre on 14th June 2024 at 09:04.
Read more: https://www.med-dept.com/unit-histories/307th-airborne-medical-company/